Sunday, June 9, 2013

I Married Mr. Right-Just Ask Him...

It's been raining where we live, so normal summer activities like swimming, riding bikes, & going to the zoo have taken a backseat to indoor games these past two weeks.  My lovely little offspring have been driving me nuts!!  I'm not afraid to admit it.  Truth be told, I don't blame them.  I'm going a bit stir crazy myself.  However, today has been the worst.  It started a few days ago.  I guess I should start from the beginning....

It started with a backyard project that my husband has been carrying on about for quite some time.  He does that, carrying on about projects, yet does nothing about it until one day, he wakes up & is ready to do said project.  AND TEN MORE THINGS!!

Last year we purchased an above ground pool for the children.  The only flat spot in the yard for it was under a huge walnut tree, so we only had sunshine on the pool for a very short time during the day.  At the end of summer, Hubby talked about moving the pool to a different part of the yard & putting it on a cement pad.  This meant that we (& by "we", I mean him) would have to level out part of the very steep backyard, which meant tearing up the entire backyard.  Which translated into dollar signs that we just did not have.

Two weeks ago, Hubby discovered that he was going to have to cut down the beautiful walnut tree, as it appeared to have some kind of disease.  Hubby enlisted the help of several friends to get the job done.  Once the tree was down, he saw that the carpenter ants were destroying the tree, & very rapidly at that.  He decided to lay the cement pad where we had the tree last year, since the tree was now gone.  YAY!!  Now this project wouldn't be so costly.

Right.....Not so costly.  He decided to level out the backyard (or at least make the incline less steep).
But he wasn't done....

He decided that we needed to widen the top part of the driveway, rip up the front walkway to the house, & rip up & redo the steps leading up to the front porch.  And let's not forget the sod he wanted to put down in the backyard.

So the project is about 93% finished and I might add that he did a great job of bartering services with our friend, Mr. M, who is our "cement guy". 

Last night at dinner, Hubby was looking rather green.  No, it was not my dinner of chicken Parmesan, fettuccine Alfredo, & broccoli.  He was running a fever.  Then the vomiting started.  Yes, it's like having another child whenever my husband gets sick.  Yes, I will do my best to make him feel better.  Yes, I love him.  Yes, I wish he'd crawl into a cave & not come out until he feels better.  True story.

Tonight I had to go to work for a staff meeting.  We live 3 blocks from my job.  I was gone just under 1 1/2 hours.  He insisted he'd be fine with the kids; he's their Father for crying out loud, not some first time babysitter.

Note to self:  DO NOT leave children with their Father when he is sick!!!

I came home & the kids (who had been at each others throats all weekend) were running around like like they were on crack, Hubby just HAD to tattle on every. single. thing. that they did that got on his nerves.  All while telling me about how his body was achy, his eyes hurt, his throat hurt from vomiting, & anything else he could complain about. 

Solution?? 
1) Send Hubby to bed.
2) Get kids bedtime routine started.
3) Send Hubby back to bed when the noise was too much.
4) Get kids tucked into bed.
5) Get plan of action for tomorrow ready, since Hubby has already called in sick.  You know our usual routine will be out of whack with a sick Parental Unit in the house.
6) Pour a glass of wine & write a blog, so as to be a nice & tolerant wife.

As I was tucking the kids into bed tonight, the Girl summed it up best.  She said, "I'm glad you sent Daddy to bed, because he isn't a very good Mommy."  I'll take that as a compliment, thank you very much.

1 comment:

  1. I hope everyone is feeling better finally! Maybe hubby got what the big boy had.

    ReplyDelete